Crocodylus Porosus aka saltwater crocodile

Feared by many people, this dangerous amphibian is from the largest family of reptile of all. The largest crocodile on the market, this green, scaly, beady eyed hunter is the most notorious killer in the reptile kingdom. The Saltwater Crocodile can weigh up to 453.6 kilos, grow to 4.5 meters long, and live to 70 years old. This crocodile lives in billabongs, swamps, or just any murky saltwater. With it’s long, adapted tail, the saltwater crocodile can propel itself through the water incredibly quickly. This fantastic animal has many different kinds of adaptations. Let’s look at these three. 

The three kinds of adaptations are:

Structural: How the animal is built, eg; cartilage flaps to prevent water from getting in their lungs when submerged 

Behavioural: How the animal behaves, eg; eat rocks to help them sink to the riverbed

Physiological: How the animal is built on the inside/can’t see, eg; Microscopic receptors to pick up movement in the water. 

Look at the table below to see the adaptations I got.

What is your favourite animal? What is one adaptation of that animal? What type?

One thought on “Crocodylus Porosus aka saltwater crocodile”

1. Hi Cameron. I’m your blog buddy. I really liked the descriptive words that you used throughout your post. The saltwater crocodile sounds very interesting. My favourite animal is a horse. One adaptation it has is that it grows a thicker coat when the weather gets colder so that it can stay warm.

-Claire